July started with an allotment of supervisors and the Lego building class with Naomi, in order to break down and demystify our research process leading to the culmination of the thesis project.
Mapping our hopes, fears and motivations for put research journeys in the Lego Workshop
I’m also beginning to think of how my thesis project can build into the brand that I want to create for myself as a design strategist/ researcher. I attended a couple of talks for Graduate Futures Week including Career Advice and CV checks. I was able to interact with the speakers and employers from IBM and the response was very positive in terms of how my career trajectory is one that could fit into larger co operations like IBM where the work culture is collaborative in nature, and interdisciplinary skills are encouraged.
The career advice session was helpful where a one to one session with one of the professionals helped me understand the need of tweaking my website in order to communicate to employers what my strengths are, by using language/ words that highlighted the strategy part of my process rather than just the design bit.
The session with Laura was also motivating as we spent some time just talking about the concept of the project and reiterating the aims of the proposal rather than just diving into the research plan. Time is definitely a factor, but I want to hold back from compromising and narrowing down on the larger intent of my project.
The impact and influence workshop helped us gain valuable insights as we move forward in defining our final major project. The disruptive approach to the workshop helped in defying pre conceived notions and alluded aspects of our project that we might have not given importance to before this workshop.
The ‘priority assessment chart’ helped in mapping my insight decisions in order to visually and cognitively register where I stand in terms of making these approaches/methodologies a reality. Two out of the three insights I gained were in the aspirational sector; this reiterated the face that I need to narrow down my topic which is primarily knowledge based to a more practice based outcome.
The exercise helped me question my assumptions and ensure that the terminologies and concepts that I might be using in my research question are not too subjective and biased. The particular exercise where we listed down all the things that go into making a single object that we need to complete our thesis project was eye opening as I realized the magnitude of the project I might be undertaking; and as a result occupying a certain stance as a designers and researcher. By the end of the day I had rephrased the word ‘technology’ in my research question to ‘digital applications.’ The step by step approach made the task of filtering easier as a constant external opinion allowed me to tackle bias in my approach to the project.
Initial project overview:
An empathy manual for technology driven products and applications dealing with human problems.
Overview after workshop:
An empathy manual for digital application companies that cater to social and psychological well being for millennials.
The practice of thinking, writing, exchanging and reviewing are all great exercises when done individually; and more so when done one after the other. The workshop fuelled my thought process by disrupting, dissecting and discarding broader themes around my final major project thesis.